After the active orthodontic treatment period is complete and your braces have been removed, you will be given a retainer. Retainers prevent the teeth from moving back to the original position. The teeth will no stay exactly where we have placed them, they will make adaptive changes to function in the most efficient manner. Teeth may shift quickly, if the retainers are not being worn.
We will supervise the first year of your retention, or as per doctor discretion. We include your initial set of retainers in your treatment fee; it becomes your financial responsibility for any replacement retainers if they become broken or lost.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO DO
- Keep your retention appointments. If you miss an appointment, we can’t properly supervise your retention. It is your responsibility to contact us to schedule another appointment. Always bring your retainers to your visits.
- Retainers are worn after school and at night when you are sleeping, unless otherwise instructed by Dr. Garcia
- If retainers are lost , broken or feel differently, call us immediately during business hours. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Take your retainers out when you eat or brush your teeth. Don’t wear retainers while swimming or contact sports. When not wearing retainers, keep them in the retainer box. Do not wrap them in a napkin or place them in your pocket.
- Take care of your retainers. Clean retainers thoroughly using warm water, a clean tooth brush and liquid soap. Efferdent or Retainer Brite can be used once a week to help remove tough stains. Don’t soak them in alcohol mouthwash (overtime will make the retainers brittle)
- Never put retainers in hot water, dishwasher or leave them in a hot place like your car.
- Keep them away from your pets; they love to chew on them.
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking aloud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, and can wear out over time. Replacing a worn out retainer is a wise investment in protecting your teeth.
- If you have a sore spot on your gums call our office at Garcia Family Orthodontics Phone Number (407) 857-0800 so that we can adjust the appliance. Please give us a call if you have any questions about retainer use.